Last night I was in charge of desert for my family dinner, and wanting to avoid our typical Chocolate Churchmouse Cake (which is tasty, but way over-done at my house) I came across this delish recipe for French Silk Pie.
1 baked pie crust
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
4 oz unsweetened chocolate squares*
2 tsp vanilla
1 pint whipping cream
1. In microwave, melt chocolate, set aside to cool.
2. In medium bowl, cream butter. Gradually add sugar, cream well.
3. Mix in melted, cooled chocolate and vanilla.
4. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat five min. each and scrape bowl occasionally to incorporate all sugar.
5. Beat until smooth and no grains of sugar remain.
6. Spoon and smooth into pre-baked pie crust.
7. Chill until set, about one hour. Meanwhile, whip the cream.
8. When pie is chilled, cover with whipped cream and serve. You may also top with chocolate shavings.
*Unsweetened chocolate squares may be substituted with chocolate baking powder. 3 Tbs powder plus one Tbs oil equals one ounce.