1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
1 (14.5 ounce can) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce can) cannellini beans
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
1/2 cup feta cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 bell peppers (we prefer red)
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Chop the tops off the bell peppers and dice three of the tops into small pieces. Dice the onions.
3. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for two more minutes. Stir in the spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, remove from heat.
4. Drain and rinse the beans, pour the tomatoes and beans into a large bowl. Stir in the spinach mixture as well as the shredded mozzarella and feta. Set aside.
5. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the package directions using vegetable broth instead of water. Once it's done, add the quinoa to the tomato spinach mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place peppers in the baking dish and stuff the mixture into your hollowed-out peppers. Top the peppers with remaining mozzarella cheese. You can also top with sliced fresh mozzarella (did you know they sell that stuff pre-sliced at Costco? Love it!)
7. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until the cheese is golden, about 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let peppers sit for five mintues. Serve warm.
adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod